Friday, January 2, 2009

Seeing the Dawn of a New Day

A new year is on the horizon. I can hardly wait! How about you? Who knows if all of our hopes, dreams, or expectations will all come to pass, but I sit on the verge of 2009 eagerly waiting for the New Day to dawn! Want to see what I see? I now see 5 dedicated families emerging from the crowds, indicating a connection to this new faith community. But I also see 5 becoming 10, 10 becoming 20, and so on and so on... I see a rainbow of God’s children coming together and a new sense of family dawning!

I now see 60 stackable red chairs, 16 risers, 4 bookcases, 2 rolling carts, 24 sets of merlot-colored curtains, 1 desk set, and 3750 square feet of sheetrock, electrical wiring, and insulation being readied for construction. But I also see a space that will soon confirm for families that we will take care of their children and we will take care of their everyday concerns. Within a renovated office building and within people’s hearts, I see new temples of God dawning.

I now see people with limited understandings about the Bible, limited involvement with Christian practices, and limited experiences with the living Christ. But I also see a growing interest in spirituality, a growing hunger for authentic community, and a growing need for direction with all of life’s struggles. I see people encountering Christ in dynamic ways and new commitments to the spiritual journey dawning.

I now see gifts of $20, $200, $1275, and $15,000 being deposited for the work of kingdom-building; I see an annual budget of $250,000 already more than half covered. But I also see hundreds of people eager to support the rest so that the Holy Spirit can change lives. In spite of financial woes, I see a new abundance of resources dawning!

I now see 4 infants being baptized at our first Preview Service this Lent/Easter, and representatives from our Partner Churches surrounding them with their promises of support and love. But I also see one service, then one more, then one more, until we are gathering to praise on a weekly basis in the Fall. I see hearts surprised that God has become so real for them and a new spirit of worship dawning!

2009 is dawning for all of us. What do you see ahead for New Day UMC? What do you see ahead in your future? May God bless the visions inspired within our souls!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Wow - budget 1/2 covered - you are blessed! You know the accountant in me had to comment. Wishing for each New Day to be full of God's surprises.

Jan