Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Woohoo! Here we go!

Do you remember what it feels like to stretch yourself out beyond your limits, beyond the places you've never dared or were able to go before?

I remember the story of one of our best friends taking her 10 year old son on a bike ride along a converted railroad line. Prior to this ride they always, and I mean always, stopped at the bridge, turned around and went back home. But this day was different. This day Peter was ready to cross the bridge to the pathways that stretched out to places beyond. Having his mom on the bike next to him made things safe and better. For our friend, crossing the bridge and riding the trail beyond was no big deal, an ordinary experience. Imagine her startled reaction upon pedaling across the bridge that day, when quite unexpectedly her son let out a wild "Woohoo!" and punched the air! He had just moved into an entirely new world and could not hold back his cheering!

I feel a lot like that right now. For most (all?) of you, you have been down this path of blogging before. You know your way around the sites and have seen this landscape a thousand times. But for me ... Woohoo! Here we go! This is something totally new for me. What do I say? What do I do next? Is this really something that people potentially around the world could see? What kind of communications will this open up for me? It is thrilling and yet intimidating. Thanks, Michelle, for being there next to me and accompanying me on this blogging ride! When is it time to turn around and head for home again? After posting this first entry, I will have stretched beyond my limits to new personal frontiers. My heart is pounding!

Spiritual journeys often feel the same way. Although I have been down those paths a thousand times, I must remember that another's spiritual ride often stops and always turns around at a certain point and heads home. How about you? Would you like to get your spiritual heart pounding again? Maybe it's time to cross the bridge. There's a lot more world ahead to experience. Maybe it's time to stretch out beyond your self imposed limits. I'd be happy to ride along beside you, if you'd like. And if you feel like letting out a "Woohoo!" of your own along the way, I will understand, for breaking through and discovering a whole new world of God is worth cheering!

So, let the cheering begin! Here we go............

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Let me be the first to welcome you to the delightful, crazy, and maddening world of blogging. Woohoo, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Jim, you can't imagine our surprise in learning that Michelle's friend was none other than you! (Thanks to the picture!) You are both richer for being friends. I'm not a blogger, but am oh, so grateful for those who are! You'll be one of my "favorites!"
Mary West, Duluth MN

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo!! Not what I remember at all! Actually I don't remember any story like that? But I do know that everything happens when one is around age 10. And I do know that crossing over any "bridge" can be exciting and frightening at the same time. I'd like to take a bike ride with you, my friend...to venture to different lands and see the best kept secrets of God. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing about your adventures along this New Method Way!! KP